The Fairview Lots
The Fairview Lots form part of the Okanagan Valley’s gold rush history.
Now located in a ghost town on the west bank of the Okanagan River, Fairview was the original townsite for what is now the town of Oliver.
Although first discovered by a prospector known as “One-Armed Reed” in 1887, the site was claimed by Fred Gwatkin and George Shehan when they put the first stakes in the ground of the Stemwinder Mine in 1888.
By 1893, Fairview claimed to be “The largest city North of San Francisco.” With this rise in population came the need to establish various supports which, amongst the saloons and a rather famous hotel, included a number of churches.
By 1906, Fairview’s gold began to dwindle and by 1919 Fairview had lost it’s appeal and soon become the ghost town that it is today.
The Fairview Lots mark the site where the Presbyterian Church, built in 1899, stood. The Church was built on lots 11 and 12 of Block 2L, directly across the street from the Church of England, which was built in 1897.
In 1929 the Church building was moved to Okanagan Falls and continues to function as it did then, as part of the Okanagan Falls United Church.
In 1970 Fairview lots 11 and 12 were sold to the Okanagan Historical Society for $1 and the costs of registering this indenture was $39.26.