The Okanagan Historical Society is one of the oldest societies in British Columbia dedicated to the preservation of local history. Incorporated in 1925, the society has published a book each year save during the Great Depression and World War II. The first volume was a mere thirty pages; the present volume is 226 pages. You become a member of the Okanagan Historical Society by purchasing the most recent annual publication. The annual publication can be purchased at local museums and book stores throughout the Valley, as well as from branch members.
The society is composed of branches that represent semi-autonomous organizations focused on their local communities from Osoyoos to Salmon Arm. These seven branches have at least two or three meetings each year and host lectures, picnics, tours, and banquets. They are involved in a variety of local history projects. Articles of historical importance to each branch are submitted to the branch editor who vets the essay and passes it onto the editor of Okanagan History. Each branch is represented on the Executive Council which meets in Kelowna three times a year.
The Annual General Meeting of the society rotates through each of the branches. Reports from annual general meetings can be found in the Report. For the most recent meeting, April 2016 held in Penticton, executive council reports can be found here.
Upcoming Society Activities
Members and guests are welcome to attend the following upcoming events:
Okanagan Historical Society AGM – Sunday, April 30, 2017, 10 am. location tbd, Summerland.
- Sunday, November 20, 2 pm. Armstrong Spallumcheen Museum and Art Gallery (3415 Pleasant Valley Rd, Armstrong): Speaker: Craig McKechnie: the Underground Waterways of Armstrong.
- Sunday, November 27, 2 pm. Schubert Centre, Vernon Branch general meeting. Speaker: Dr. Jim Wood: Early history of the Canadian militia in the north Okanagan.
- Friday, December 2, noon. Kelowna Branch executive Christmas lunch
- Sunday, December 4, 2 pm. Seniors Drop in Centre. Salmon Arm Branch Christmas meeting. Speaker: Deborah Chapman: the new Montebello addition at RJ Haney Park
OHS BOOK SALES:
- Friday, November 18, 2016 from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. Askew’s Foods, 3305 Smith Drive, Armstrong.
- Friday, November 18 and 19, 2016. The Enderby & District Credit Union, 703 Mill Avenue, Enderby.
- Saturday, November 19, 2016 from 9:30 am to 5:30 pm. Cherry Lane Shopping Centre, Penticton.
- Sunday, November 20, 2016 from 11 am – 5 pm. Cherry Lane Shopping Centre, Penticton.
- Friday, December 2, 2016 from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. Akew’s Foods, 3305 Smith Drive, Armstrong.
- Friday-Saturday, December 9-10, 2016. Rona Home and Garden, 1711 Springfield Rd. Kelowna.
- Sunday, February 26 – OHS Executive Council meeting, 10 am, Kelowna Chamber of Commerce.
- Sunday, July 16 – Kelowna Branch Picnic, Parkinson Recreation Centre.
- Saturday, August 26 – Kelowna Branch Old Fashioned Social, Father Pandosy Mission
Okanagan Historical Society P.O. Box 313 Vernon, B.C. V1T6M3