The Okanagan Historical Society is one of the oldest societies in British Columbia dedicated to the preservation of local history. Incorporated in 1925, the society has published a book each year save during the Great Depression and World War II. The first volume was a mere thirty pages; the present volume is 226 pages. You become a member of the Okanagan Historical Society by purchasing the most recent annual publication. The annual publication can be purchased at local museums and book stores throughout the Valley, as well as from branch members.
The society is composed of branches that represent semi-autonomous organizations focused on their local communities from Osoyoos to Salmon Arm. These seven branches have at least two or three meetings each year and host lectures, picnics, tours, and banquets. They are involved in a variety of local history projects. Articles of historical importance to each branch are submitted to the branch editor who vets the essay and passes it onto the editor of Okanagan History. Each branch is represented on the Executive Council which meets in Kelowna three times a year.
The Annual General Meeting of the society rotates through each of the branches. Reports from annual general meetings can be found in the Report. For the most recent meeting, April 2016 held in Penticton, executive council reports can be found here.
Upcoming Society Activities
Members and guests are welcome to attend the following upcoming events:
Okanagan Historical Society AGM – Sunday, April 29, 2018, 10 am. Okanagan Centre.
OHS BOOK SALES: Please contact your local Branch for information.
- November 23 & 24 – Salmon Arm, OHS Book Sale & Silent Auction in the Piccadilly Mall.
- Sunday, December 3 – Salmon Arm. Christmas Gathering at the Sr. Drop in Centre, 31 Hudson Ave. at 2 pm. Special guest speaker will be local historian Dave Harper. Topic: the wharves, boats and activities that took place in bygone days in the Salmon Arm bay.
- Saturday and Sunday, December 16 & 17, 10 am to 3 pm – Kelowna, OHS Family Christmas Tree Event, 3130 Hall Rd.
- February 19 to 24th – Heritage Week Salmon Arm – OHS Display in Piccadilly Mall.
- Saturday, March 24 – Kelowna Branch Annual General Meeting, 5 pm, Parking Recreation Centre, Kelowna.
- Sunday, March 25 – Armstrong-Enderby Branch Annual General Meeting, 2 pm, Enderby Museum, 901 George Street, Enderby.
Okanagan Historical Society P.O. Box 313 Vernon, B.C. V1T 6M3