The Okanagan Historical Society is one of the oldest societies in British Columbia dedicated to the preservation of local history. Incorporated in 1925, the society has published a book each year save during the Great Depression and World War II. The first volume was a mere thirty pages; the present volume is 226 pages. You become a member of the Okanagan Historical Society by purchasing the most recent annual publication. The annual publication can be purchased at local museums and book stores throughout the Valley, as well as from branch members.
The society is composed of branches that represent semi-autonomous organizations focused on their local communities from Osoyoos to Salmon Arm. These seven branches have at least two or three meetings each year and host lectures, picnics, tours, and banquets. They are involved in a variety of local history projects. Articles of historical importance to each branch are submitted to the branch editor who vets the essay and passes it onto the editor of Okanagan History. Each branch is represented on the Executive Council which meets in Kelowna three times a year.
The Annual General Meeting of the society rotates through each of the branches. Reports from annual general meetings can be found in the Report. For the most recent meeting, April 2016 held in Penticton, executive council reports can be found here.
Upcoming Society Activities
Members and guests are welcome to attend the following upcoming events:
Okanagan Historical Society AGM – Sunday, April 30, 2017, 10 am. Summerland Waterfront Resort & Spa, Summerland.
OHS BOOK SALES: Please contact your local Branch for information.
- Sunday, April 30 – OHS AGM – Summerland (see above)
- Sunday, May 7 – Armstrong-Enderby Branch AGM, 2 pm, Enderby Museum, 901 George Street, Enderby. Speaker on the history of the Kingfisher and Mabel Lake areas.
- Sunday, May 28 – Tea at the Top of the Fur Brigade Trail (register by May 21 by emailing email@example.com). See Summerland branch page for more details.
- Sunday, July 16 – Kelowna Branch Picnic, Parkinson Recreation Centre.
- Saturday, August 26 – Kelowna Branch Old Fashioned Social, Father Pandosy Mission
- Sunday, November 5 – Armstrong-Enderby Branch Meeting, 2 pm, Armstrong Museum, 3415 Pleasant Valley Road, Armstrong.
Okanagan Historical Society P.O. Box 313 Vernon, B.C. V1T6M3